Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Concia of Vegetables
Wednesday, February 05, 2014
Concia of Vegetables:
Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- 1 -1/3 pounds (600 g) ripe plum tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeded, chopped & drained (in winter canned tomatoes will do)
- 1 pound (500 g) eggplant
- 1 pound (500 g) zucchini cut in small dice
- 1 pound (500 g) potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 pound (500 g) white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley, minced
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Trim the stems and bottoms of the eggplant, slice them finely, salt them, and put them in a colander for about an hour, during which time the salt will draw out the bitter juices. Then rinse them and pat them dry.
- Preheat your oven to 360 F (180 C).
- Oil a large oven-proof dish and put down the sliced vegetables in layers, seasoning each completed cycle with some of the minced herbs, salt and pepper, and a little olive oil. When you are done layering, sprinkle a little more olive oil over the top and bake until the vegetables are fairly dry.
- Yield: 6 servings of Concia
- Chef Walter Potenza, Cooking School Win Grana Padano Award
- NEW: RI Chef Walter Potenza to Cook for Pope Francis
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Spinaci all’Ebraica